Sunday, August 8, 2010

Onion Fish Fry











Monsoons in Mumbai is a harrowing experience. Incessant rains throughout the day make it a nightmare for the working class. Every morning I wake up and feel, Oh God !!! please stop this rain else I will not get a rickshaw or even if I manage to get one, it will take two hours to reach my office. And God is always kind to us. After our strenuously long working hours and waiting hours in the Mumbai traffic, finally we manage to reach home and have some 'pakodas' with hot steaming coffee. The caffeine drives away the tension, stress and brings back the joy and vibrance back to our lives. This monsoon has been different from the last time, 'coz my parents-in-law had come down to stay with us for over a week and had brought along-with them a variety of raw fish all the way from Kolkata. My mother-in-law there-after prepared a few tasty delicacies like the onion fish fry, which is made of 'Topshe' fish. 'Topshe' is a very soft, delicate & boneless river fish, mostly found in Kolkata. I had had it for the first time at my in-laws place last year and subsequently this delicacy has became my all time favorite. My father-in-law, lovingly called as 'Bapu', never misses to pick-up 'Topshe' for his two foodie kids. Let me share this simple recipe with you.


Ingredients


1. Four pieces of 'Topshe' fish.
2.One big sized onion,finely chopped.
3.One green chilly,finely chopped. Ginger,finely chopped.

4.Besan (Gram flour) ,salt to taste and Refined/Mustard oil 6-7 table spoon.
Procedure
1.Clean the fish and add salt and turmeric powder to it.
2.Fry the fish for 2 minutes.
3.Add all chopped spices and salt to besan and prepare a thick mix.
4.Dip the fried fish into besan mix and fry till the fish turns red brown.
Chef's Tips
'Topshe' is available only in the eastern region of India. So if 'Topshe' is not an easily available option, you may use small sized pomfret or any small sized bone-less fish.Even medium sized prawn will taste good.




2 comments: