Saturday, January 29, 2011

Brinjal Malaicurry

A few months back, I had posted one of my favourite brinjal recipes - steamed brinjal - whosoever tried this dish, has appreciated the yummy taste and its simplicity.
One of my colleagues, who is a big health freak, told me that nowadays she frequently
cooks this simple and healthy dish. One of my other friends told me that whenever she runs out of her vegetable stock or even the non-veg stock, she quickly prepares this one. So I finally understood what my friends actually expect - a less time-consuming ,healthy and yummy dish - really a very difficult combination to achieve.
Well, I have a few more such dishes, mostly with brinjal again.
After I got married, when my in-laws came to know about my passion for cooking, they
never miss out gifting me a reciepe book whenever they visit our place or send us any courier.Recently they sent me a bengali recipe book where some of the recipes are actually a specialty from Rabindranath Tagore family's kitchen. I picked up this 'Brinjal Malaicurry' from there on this Sunday. It turned out to be far beyond my expectations.Don't just rely on my verdict - please have a hands-on experience yourself and give
a different dimension to your Sunday food menu. It's so easy to cook that even the novice bachelors can also prepare this with confidence.

Ingredients :
1. 5-6 table spoon grated coconut.
2. One big brinjal,cut into one inch round slice and then half each slice.
3. One small spoon ginger,One table spoon onion paste.
4. Bori 5-6 (Dried daal pellets,please refer 'My Spice' section.)
5. Turmeric powder,sugar and salt to taste and mustard/refined oil.

Method :
1. Put four table spoons grated coconut into luke warm water and keep it aside.
2. Mix salt and turmeric with half circled brinjal.
Heat the oil into a wok and fry the brinjals. Do not overcook at this stage.
3.Now add ginger and onion paste into oil and saute it, add turmeric.
Once spices are cooked then sieve through the coconut milk and add it into
the spices.
4.Slit two green chillies into the gravy and once it starts bubbling, add brinjal.
Boil the gravy till it coats the brinjal well. This gravy should not be too thin
or thick.
5. Sprinkle some grated coconut and fried bori on top of gravy.
Serve with hot steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment